Saturday, July 7, 2007

Bariloche

Hola Chicos,

School is officially done and I couldn’t be happier. Not many students got much sleep the last few days of school (because of the nasty papers we had to write), but now that it is finished things are looking up. I must say that I am relieved the grades are only pass fail because it looks as though I will not be making an A in either of my classes.
In about an hour I am leaving the city and traveling 20 hours south to a part of the country called Bariloche. It will be cold there (about 30 degrees F), but I am very excited. Bariloche is located in the Andes mountain range so I would be a fool not to at least ski for a bit. I can’t say I have the most appropriate clothing for this trip (of course I didn’t take the advice of my mother who told me to bring a hat and gloves), so I am going to have to be a bit creative in figuring out a way to stay warm. I will probably be “that guy” skiing down the hill with about 12 layers on, a sweater wrapped around my head in place of a hat, 2 pairs of jeans on and some sporty sunglasses to top it off. It will be a bit different than when I have skied with the Blake-Smiths in Breckenridge in the past (everyone dressed to perfection), but a new experience none the less. I also plan to do some hiking while I am “in the south”. Everyone here says the scenery is muy linda (very beautiful) so I am anxious to see what everyone is boasting about. Besides the waterfalls in Iguazu, Bariloche is said to have some of the most impressive sights in Argentina.
Last night our program directors took all of the students out to a jazz club as a little congratulations party. The music was fabulous, everyone was in a good mood and it was very nice to be together as a group one last time. It’s a bit bizarre thinking about the fact that I will more than likely not see many of these kids from my program ever again, but it has been a pleasure getting to know each and everyone of them. It’s also nice because I know I have a place to stay just about anywhere in the country. When I take a road trip around the states I will definitely call a number of my Argentina friends.
Ok, I need to finish packing. Try to enjoy the warm weather for me while I am freezing my little Minnesota buns off in the mountains. Also note, for those of you who check my blog everyday (Bumpa and Grandma), that I may not be able to update it for a week or so. I am not bringing my laptop because I am afraid it might get stolen and I’m not sure if the hostel I will be staying at has internet. If it does I will continue to write often, but I can’t make any promises.
Ciao,
Chris

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dies ist mein erstes Mal, wenn ich Besuch hier. Ich fand so viele interessante Sachen in Deinem Blog vor allem seine Diskussion. Von den Tonnen von Kommentaren auf Ihrem Artikel, ich denke, ich bin nicht die einzige, die alle die Freude hier! halten, die gute Arbeit.