Thursday, June 14, 2007

June 14th

Oh what a day, oh what a night! I have been here for nearly two weeks now, but each day I keep on seeing new sites. I really think I am living the dream life. Where do I start?
After school today I ventured to the outskirts of the city with a few classmates in search of a museum we weren’t sure existed. But hey, when in Argentina, do as Argentines do(that should be funny because they are known for exploring). The museum is said to have the largest carnivore dinosaur ever found, “Gigantesaurous”. What a clever name for such a large dinosaur. When we found this mystery place, it didn’t quite live up to all the hype. They only had a picture of the dinosaur, but they had cool fossils none the less. One of which is named the “Argentinasaurous”. That’s right; this one was found in Argentina.
After our fill of dinosaur information, we went to a local café to do some people watching and homework. I am very serious about my homework because I really want to learn this language, but after an hour and a half we solely watched the Argentines interact. Their way of communicating and conversing is much different than that of which I am used to seeing, so it is quite entertaining just to sit back and enjoy the show. Also, many come from Italy and we all know how animated Italians are.
Fast forward to 8 pm tonight, where the fun began. My program had a planned tango lesson and salsa lesson. I didn’t think I would have too much interest in either, but after my great tango experience I was more than willing to give salsa a go. Almost my entire group participated (about 45 out of 60 students) in the salsa lesson. I loved every second. Salsa is much more upbeat, interactive and lively than tango and I couldn’t get enough. I can’t imagine I looked like a pro on the floor, but I really had no problems learning the steps (which is much more than almost all the guys in my program can say). I have made arrangements to take salsa lessons now in place of tango. My host mother has taken classes for 7 years now so I should be set up with quite the teacher. It’s really easy if you can keep a beat in your head and move your feet a bit. 1, 2, 3, uhh…1, 2, 3, uhh, that’s all there is to it!
I was sad that I had to leave salsa early, but I had made previous arrangements with my host family to have dinner with them. That sadness faded quickly when I arrived to the restaurant. It was an all you can eat buffet, but I’m not talking Old Country Buffet style, no. I’m talking about round after round of the best beef, pork and chicken you have ever seen. I even went as far as trying grilled intestines, octopus, some other foreign meat similar to pork but with no fat, and blood sausage. I have told myself that I will try everything that is put in front of me and so far I haven’t ducked out of anything. By the way, I know many of you are asking yourself “I wonder what intestines taste like”. They are very tasty, similar to octopus. They are also very chewy like octopus. You might want to give it a go sometime if it is offered. The food was absolutely fabulous and I ate until I could no longer move.
This next section I have to pre warn everyone about, it is gross and disgusting. Viewer discretion is advised. After dinner my host father took me to a place I never want to go back to, but he said this is one of the main tourist attractions in Buenos Aires. Apparently Buenos Aires has a huge homosexual population and more than that, they have one of the biggest transsexual populations in the world. That being said, we drove through what has to be the largest strip of transsexual prostitution in the world. It went on for well over a mile. No females, only transsexuals dressed in female clothing. My father assured me that he only was showing me this because he wants me to see every tourist site in Argentina. I still felt a bit awkward driving by all of the she-males.
On that note, I’m signing out. Take care all!
Nos Vemos,
Christopher

No comments: