Wednesday, June 27, 2007

June 27th

Upon arrival back from Colonia, Uruguay, it feels as though I am back to my schedule. Although, I really can’t complain. I love traveling and seeing new places, but lugging baggage everywhere, checking in and out of hostels, waiting in line at the bus station, waiting in line at customs, etc. all get tiring after awhile. It’s really nice to come back to this place I temporarily call home.

Since nothing worth writing about has happened in the past day and a half, I am going to use this blogging time to talk about some differences I have noticed here in the southern hemisphere.

The infamous llaves (keys)
The keys that are used here in BA are straight out of King Arthur’s Castle. They have long and narrow shafts with distinct jagged features at the tip. They are also extremely old, partially rusted, and difficult to maneuver in the lock. They are still giving me problems after 3 weeks, and not just minor problems, oh no. About a week ago I spent 10 minutes trying to get the lock to turn. To make things worse, I was never able to do it. I had to call my host father to let me in. Talk about embarrassing.
Donde esta mis monedas?
Monedas (coins/change) are very necessary here because of all the purposes they serve. You can only use change to ride the bus, subway, and most people use change to tip (tips here range from 5-10% and they don’t have 1 pesos bills, only 1 pesos coins). The problem is that when you pay for something at a store, they demand that you give near the exact amount. The other problem is that ATMs here only give out 100 pesos bills. I have been yelled at several times for not having the correct amount, and refused service when trying to break a 50. I thought the purpose of a cash register was to give customers change, but here it doesn’t quite work like that. Moral of the story is that beggars on the street trying to get my spare change don’t have a prayer. I would rather part with a 2 pesos bill than give up my coins!
Watch your step!
Here, in the city of 13 million people, it seems as though most of them own dogs. I didn’t think dogs would be very popular in such an urban location, but boy was I wrong. There are people who I see everyday, and many of them, who walk dogs for a living. They walk around with about 12 dogs at a time periodically throughout the day. Besides the fact that the dogs here are much uglier than the ones back home, they have no laws about cleaning up poop. If you aren’t alert on your walk to school there is a good chance you will smell the consequences.
Maa – Tay
Coffee here is very popular. Portenos (Argentines) that much pride in their café, but what is more popular than coffee is an herbal tea called mate (maa tay). It is so popular that just about everyone carries their own thermoses, herbs, mate cup (which comes intact with a metal hose) and sweetener. I have even seen mothers with infant children on the bus lugging around their mate bag. It’s also very interesting because of what a social drink it is. Workers in every industry break at certain times each day to drink their tea, and usually share one cup (even though everyone has their own). Watching adults pass around the oddly designed cup with a metal straw sticking up is quite odd, and almost ritualistic. I tried it once and nearly spit it out. It is very strong, very hot and very bitter. I tried it again after it cooled off a bit and after adding a bunch of sugar. It was ok, nothing to plan your day around, but decent. However, I told the Portenos I was with that I loved it.
Taxi!
Just about everyone here has a bitter sweet relationship with taxis. They are easily accessible, very cheap, and very convenient. However, the cab drivers drive as if no one else is on the road (the literally will drive in 2 lanes and pass without signaling), honk about 12 times each ride and have been known to take non natives on a “joy ride”. I take cabs from time to time (if I am in a hurry), but I would much rather use other modes of transportation.

Although it may seem as though I have many bad things to say about BA, I really don’t. There are some major differences here, but all and all, it’s a fabulous city. As long as I don’t get hit by and taxis, can avoid drinking mate, don’t step in dog poop, keep my change in my pocket and am patient with my house key from the Renaissance era, I don’t foresee myself having any problems.

PS I just uploaded a few new pictures from Colonia. Check them out at my photo site if you care to see them.

No comments: