Saturday, June 9, 2007

June 9th

So rumor has it that some people who read my blog are having some trouble posting comments. I wish I had a good solution, but I don´t. If you want to become in direct contact with me I can be reached through email at ford0198@gmail.com
Last night was my first tango class. It was really cool. Some of the instructors are exceptionally good dancers, but for the most part, everyone was doing pretty basic steps. I was able to catch on pretty quickly to the steps, the only problem was that there was no space to move on the dance floor. People are continuously bumping into each other. When that happens, they say just to bump off of each other like pinballs. It was hard to get the hang of that at first. I plan to take more classes throughout the summer with some friends from the program and hopefully get better over time.
After tango class, some friends and I went to a ragae party. It was very unique. I wouldn´t go as far as to say it was good music, but definitely an experience. I always invision ragae being slow music, but they talk so fast here that slow doesn´t really register all that well. I hope to attend a ragetone(Spanish hip hop) concert sometime while I am here.
I´m still having some issues with the language barrier. I am able to understand when the people speak slow, but that seldomly happens. If I say ¨mas lentos por favor¨ which means speak slower, either they will start speaking English or stop speaking all together. I need to figure out a way to tell them that I want to talk, but at a slow pace.
Classes here are much harder than I anticipated, interesting none the less. In history class, we are learning about the Argenitne government and economy. Fraud and corruption inside of their political sphere have made it hard for Argentina to advance the way it would like, but when compared to other South American countries, Argentina is quite developed. Juan Peron and Evita have been large topics of conversation in our class. Our teacher speaks very fast and I only understand about half of what she says, so hopefully I catch the important information.
This weekend I have no clue what I want to do. I have some high school friends here in BA so hopefully at some point I will be able to meet up with them. Who knows, the options are almost countless.
Nos Vemos!
Chris

No comments: